A covering letter accompanies your CV when you are applying for a job. Here are some tips on laying out your letter.
1. Your address should be written in the top right-hand corner
2. The address to whom you are writing should be written on the left under your address
3. The date should be written under the address you are writing to
4. Salutation or greeting
- Dear Sir or Madam (if you do not know the name of the person you are writing to, use this. It is always advisable to try to find out a name.)
- Dear Mr Jenkins (if you know the name, use the title (Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms, Dr, etc.) and the surname only.)
- Opening Paragraph – explain the position you are applying for and mention how you found out about the vacancy.
- Paragraph 2 – next give the reasons why you are interested in working for the company and why you wish to be considered for that particular post. Briefly, write down your relevant qualifications and experience, as well as your personal qualities that make you a suitable for the post.
- Paragraph 3 – let them know that you have enclosed your current CV and add any further information that you think could help.
- Closing Paragraph – state your availability for interview, thank them for their consideration and restate your interest.
- Yours faithfully – if you do not know the name of the person, end the letter this way.
- Yours sincerely – if you know the name of the person, end the letter this way.
- Your signature – sign your name, then print it underneath the signature.