Chair-based Exercise Instructor Course
Get the skills, knowledge and confidence to improve the quality of life for older adults with chair-based exercise classes. Start learning straight away using Amac’s specialised online resources. The ideal certification if you would like to plan and deliver group classes in your community.
You might already be a fitness instructor looking to adapt exercises to help older clients and build your CIMSPA points. Perhaps you do not have any existing fitness qualifications but already work with frailer older or disabled individuals. There are no formal prerequisites for this course but you do need to be over 18.
Our partner, London South Bank University are not currently allowing this training on their campus due to the current Government restrictions. For the autumn, we have now launched a new real-time training courses via Zoom which will be held over two dates. The next course is 16 & 17 November, 10:30 – 13:30. Students booking this option will get a study pack and pre-course online learning prior to attending the Zoom course.
Our online course format which can be studied anytime, continues to be available to book.
Amac have been running an online Chair-based Exercise Course for several years and worked with lots of organisations including: Corby Borough Council; Bury Council; The Stroke Association; Hastings Borough Council; and Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council.
This Chair-based Exercise Instructor course can be completed online in approximately 6-10 hours. Alternatively, if you would prefer face-to-face training we can offer a Zoom course and in-house training on request and discounts are available on group bookings.
Although there are no formal qualification prerequisites it is recommended that you understand the structure and function of body systems before undertaking this CBE course. If you have not studied this area before, or you need a refresher, you can browse the free resources on the Amac website.
- The values and principles of adult social care
- The importance of diversity in adult social care
- The impact of bodily changes associated with ageing, disability and inactivity
- The health and functional benefits of chair-based exercise for frailer older adults and disabled adults
- How chair-based exercise can help meet the social, emotional and psychological needs of frailer older adults and disabled adults
- Engaging frailer older adults and disabled adults to participate in chair-based exercise
- Special considerations when delivering chair-based exercise
- Current national physical activity guidelines/recommendations for older adults
- How to structure chair-based exercise sessions
- Health screening
- How to plan and prepare for chair-based exercise sessions
- How to manage risk in relation to teaching chair-based exercise sessions
- How to deliver safe and inclusive chair-based exercise sessions
- How to reflect on chair-based exercise sessions
- How to act in the event of adverse effects to a frailer older or disabled adult during chair-based exercise
- 33 chair-based exercises with adaptations and progressions
• Online Course
You can complete your CBE Instructor course online through AllActive’s interactive e-learning platform, Learnstream. You will find explanations, photographs and videos detailing how each component of your chair-based exercise session should be carried out, how each seated exercise should be performed and how to link all this knowledge together. Access will be granted for one year. There is the option to purchase a hard-copy comprehensive training manual to accompany the online course.
• In-house training
If you are interested in a making group booking we can provide the CBE Instructor certification as an in-house course and create bespoke training to meet your needs. We can offer discounts on group bookings.
• Live Zoom Course
Attend our real-time live course through x2 three-hour Zoom workshops. In advance, you will receive a study pack consisting of comprehensive training manual, 3 Latex free thermoplastic elastomer material (TPE) resistance bands in different tensions: extra light, light, and medium (120 cm long) and course handouts. Before the training workshops, you will be asked to complete pre-course tasks using manual and online ‘Study Support Area’ which will be available to access until 30 days after last live workshop. This will include reading and watching some exercise videos to practice (approx. 2-3 hours).
There is information available that can be used to help your organisation make a business case for this AllActive’s course. See Training Business Case for Chair-based Exercise Instructor.
‘This CBE course provided me with an exercise programme which I felt confident to start using the very next day with the older adults I work with. For me, our trainer role-modeled how best to work with people; inclusively, with warmth and humour, safely and knowledgeably. One of the best training courses I’ve been on.’
Did you know Amac have more chair-based fitness courses as part of their AllActive Range? AllActive courses are face-to-face training or e-learning certifications developed to meet the training needs of the health, care or voluntary sectors as well as those working in the fitness industry.
- Amac Certificate in Chair-based Exercise Instructor
- Entry requirements: This course is not a regulated qualification. There is no specific entry requirement (apart from 18+ years) for this course as chair-based exercise instructing is a non-regulated activity. This course enables the learner to run chair-based exercise sessions in a variety of settings within health, adult social care and leisure environments. Upon completion, learners can deliver a chair-based exercise session limited to the specific exercises covered within the training course.
- CIMSPA endorsed with 10 points (8 points for face-to-face courses)
- Recognised by Skills for Care
- Endorsed by Active IQ
If you are looking to do other chair-based fitness qualifications in the future, consider the range of add-on courses such as Throwing & Catching Games for Chair-based Exercise. This will enable you to meet the certification pre-requisite for career progression.
- Online quiz that you will need to gain 18 marks out of 25 marks (70%) you may reattempt the quiz as many times as necessary if required
- Online access will be provided for one year, this will allow you time to complete the course and revisit the training material even when you have passed the assessment and downloaded the certificate
- To gain a certificate, staff will need to complete all components including the pre-course tasks, and both live workshops.
- If you should not attend the first workshop, then you will be required to watch a recording and attend the second workshop live. If you attend the first workshop and then miss the second workshop, you will be required to watch the recording and then plan and deliver a 10-minute CBE session. This videoed demonstration will need to be submitted for review (Note: a £20 + VAT fee will apply). Non-attendance of both live workshops means that no certificate can be issued.
- To gain a certificate, you need to attend the training sessions in full.
The online course is assessed and automatically certified so a certificate can be downloaded. Amac can deliver this as an in-house course option for employers. Please enquire for further details.
Chair-based Exercise Course- Book your place now!
|£||Description||Link to Payment|
Start online course anytime with access for a year.
Optional manual to accompany the online course
|£300||Live Zoom course
Attend two dates for the three-hour workshops PLUS hard-copy manual and x3 resistance bands. (Discounts available for 5+ bookings)