Chair-based Exercise Instructor Course
Get the skills, knowledge and confidence to improve the quality of life for older adults with chair-based exercise classes. Start learning straight away using Amac’s specialised online resources. The ideal certification if you would like to plan and deliver group classes in your community.
You might already be a fitness instructor looking to adapt exercises to help older clients and build your REPs points. Perhaps you do not have any existing fitness qualifications but already work with frailer older or disabled individuals. There are no formal prerequisites for this course but you do need to be over 18.
Amac have been running an online Chair-based Exercise Course for several years and worked with lots of organisations including: Corby Borough Council; Bury Council; The Stroke Association; Hastings Borough Council; and Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council.
This Chair-based Exercise Instructor course can be completed online in approximately 6-10 hours. Alternatively, if you would prefer face-to-face training we can offer in-house training on request and discounts are available on group bookings.
Although there are no formal qualification prerequisites it is recommended that you understand the structure and function of body systems before undertaking this CBE course. If you have not studied this area before, or you need a refresher, you can browse the free resources on the Amac website.
- The values and principles of adult social care
- The importance of diversity in adult social care
- The impact of bodily changes associated with ageing, disability and inactivity
- The health and functional benefits of chair-based exercise for frailer older adults and disabled adults
- How chair-based exercise can help meet the social, emotional and psychological needs of frailer older adults and disabled adults
- Engaging frailer older adults and disabled adults to participate in chair-based exercise
- Special considerations when delivering chair-based exercise
- Current national physical activity guidelines/recommendations for older adults
- How to structure chair-based exercise sessions
- Health screening
- How to plan and prepare for chair-based exercise sessions
- How to manage risk in relation to teaching chair-based exercise sessions
- How to deliver safe and inclusive chair-based exercise sessions
- How to reflect on chair-based exercise sessions
- How to act in the event of adverse effects to a frailer older or disabled adult during chair-based exercise
- 33 chair-based exercises with adaptations and progressions
• Online Course
You can complete your CBE Instructor course online through AllActive’s interactive e-learning platform, Learnstream. You will find explanations, photographs and videos detailing how each component of your chair-based exercise session should be carried out, how each seated exercise should be performed and how to link all this knowledge together. Access will be granted for one year. There is the option to purchase a hard-copy comprehensive training manual to accompany the online course.
• In-house training
If you are interested in a making group booking we can provide the CBE Instructor certification as an in-house course and create bespoke training to meet your needs. We can offer discounts on group bookings.
• Face-to-face Open Courses
Upcoming face-to-face open courses are running on the following dates 9.30am to 5.30pm:
Wednesday 29th April 2020 at London South Bank University, London
Wednesday 20th May 2020 at Amac, Canterbury, Kent
Wednesday 24th June 2020 at London South Bank University, London
There is information available that can be used to help your organisation make a business case for this AllActive’s course. See Training Business Case for Chair-based Exercise Instructor.
‘This CBE course provided me with an exercise programme which I felt confident to start using the very next day with the older adults I work with. For me, our trainer role-modeled how best to work with people; inclusively, with warmth and humour, safely and knowledgeably. One of the best training courses I’ve been on.’
Did you know Amac have more chair-based fitness courses as part of their AllActive Range? AllActive courses are face-to-face training or e-learning certifications developed to meet the training needs of the health, care or voluntary sectors as well as those working in the fitness industry.
- Amac Certificate in Chair-based Exercise Instructor
- Entry requirements: Over 18.
- Endorsed by Skills for Care and PD Approval (for REPs)
- (Members of the Register of Exercise Professionals with Level 3 Older Adult can use these points towards their annual CPD requirement)
If you are looking to do other chair-based fitness qualifications in the future, consider the range of add-on courses such as Throwing & Catching Games for Chair-based Exercise. This will enable you to meet the certification pre-requisite for career progression.
- Online quiz that you will need to gain 18 marks out of 25 marks (70%) you may reattempt the quiz as many times as necessary if required
- Online access will be provided for one year, this will allow you time to complete the course and revisit the training material even when you have passed the assessment and downloaded the certificate
The online course is assessed and automatically certified so a certificate can be downloaded. Amac can deliver this as an in-house course option for employers. Please enquire for further details.
Chair-based Exercise Course- Book your place now!
|£||Description||Link to Payment|
|£228||Online course||Book Now|
|£25||Hard-copy manual to accompany the online course (optional)||Book Now|
|£264||Face-to-face course||Book Now|